Back To Topics
    (0 rates)
    • December 10, 2018 10:52 AM IST
      • Post(s)
      • Thank(s)
      • cR(s)
        0 0

The rookie right-hander pitched

SAN DIEGO -- Until Thursday, Jesse Hahn hadnt pitched seven innings since his junior year of college in 2010, after which he had reconstructive elbow surgery. Authentic Kevin Gravel Jersey . The rookie right-hander pitched seven strong innings and pinch-hitter Chris Denorfia singled in the go-ahead run in a four-run seventh for the San Diego Padres, who rallied for the second straight game to beat the Seattle Mariners 4-1 on Thursday night. "Im building up my innings and my pitch count and Ive actually felt stronger and stronger as I went out there, so hopefully next start Ill be able to go eight, and maybe a complete game," Hahn said. The light-hitting Padres salvaged a split of the four-game season series by winning consecutive games for the first time since May 30-31. Robinson Cano had three singles for the Mariners, who beat the Padres in Seattle on Monday and Tuesday. Hahn (2-1) was making his third big league start. He held Seattle to an unearned run and five hits, struck out seven and walked two. In his last two starts, Hahn has allowed no earned runs and just six hits while striking out 14 in 13 innings. "He did a lot of nice things on the mound," manager Bud Black said. "He showed again composure for a guy whos only made three major league starts, so there was a lot of good today from Jesse." Huston Street pitched the ninth for his 20th save in 20 opportunities, getting a double-play ball after allowing a double and single with one out. Seattles Erasmo Ramirez, winless since April 1, left with a 1-0 lead after six innings. But Dominic Leone (2-1) allowed four runs, three hits and a walk while getting only one out in the seventh. Yasmani Grandal grounded out leading off the Padres seventh before they tied it on consecutive triples by Tommy Medica and Cameron Maybin. On Wednesday night, Medicas RBI pinch-hit single in the eighth gave the Padres a 2-1 win. Carlos Quentin walked and was replaced by pinch-runner Jace Peterson before Denorfia, pinch-hitting for Hahn, singled to centre to bring in Maybin with the go-ahead run. Joe Beimel came on and retired Will Venable before allowing Everth Cabreras two-run single to right. "Hittings contagious," Medica said. "A few guys start doing it, I mean, it starts clicking. We did it that inning and hopefully we can get it rolling a little more." Ramirez held San Diego to two hits while striking out three and walking two. "Im back to being myself, like I used to be," he said. "Ive been throwing balls, balls and now this has been the opposite, throw more strikes. Every outing I feel like Im getting better. Im just going to continue to pound the strike zone. That is my goal." Said Black: "Ramirez had us. Whether we were behind the fastball and ahead of the change, he and (catcher John) Buck had us going back and forth. He had us in vice grips for those six innings. They made a pitching change and we got some things going." Cano drove in Seattles only run with his second single off Hahn, in the fifth. Cano extended his road hitting streak to 20 games. Brad Miller drew a leadoff walk and was safe at second on Endy Chavezs one-out grounder after Cabrera, the shortstop, dropped the ball for an error. Miller scored on Canos single to right-centre. "Im not going to take anything away from that young man," Seattle manager Lloyd McClendon said. "I thought he threw a pretty good game. He kept us off-balance with his slow curveball. He kept his fastball down for the most part. We had some chances but we just didnt have good at-bats in scoring opportunities today and that has been our challenge all year." NOTES: The Padres placed 1B Yonder Alonso on the 15-day DL, retroactive to Tuesday, with tendinitis in his right wrist. ... To take his place on the roster, OF Jake Goebbert was selected from Triple-A El Paso. Goebbert is still waiting to make his big league debut. He was in the on-deck circle in the seventh but was pulled back for Denorfia. He was acquired from Oakland on May 15 in the deal that sent Kyle Blanks to Oakland. ... Padres 2B Jedd Gyorko had his left foot put back into a cast and walking boot. He had removed them recently as he battles plantar fasciitis. "Its not a good sign," Black said. "But hopefully it helps."... The Padres open a three-game series against the Los Angeles Dodgers on Friday night, when RHP Dan Haren (7-4, 3.54 ERA) is scheduled to face RHP Ian Kennedy (5-8, 3.72). ... The Mariners head to Kansas City where they open a three-game series Friday, with RHP Hisashi Iwakuma (5-3, 2.59) scheduled to oppose RHP James Shields (8-3, 3.50). Authentic Glenn Anderson Jersey . First, Ivan Nova decided to have season-ending Tommy John elbow surgery. Then Michael Pineda was suspended for 10 games for using pine tar. Authentic Grant Fuhr Jersey . The victory strengthened Liverpools position in the top four after Tottenham lost 1-0 at Norwich in the days late kickoff, cutting the north London club six points adrift of fourth place and the final Champions League slot for next season.TORONTO – Jonathan Bernier values his sleep a lot more these days. Not only is Bernier facing a mighty barrage of shots once more in his second season as the Leafs No. 1, but as a new dad, hes prone to the typical restless nights of most young parents. What’s he more familiar with though is that busy workload as Toronto’s top dog in goal. No starter in the league faced more shots on a nightly basis than the 26-year-old last year – 34 per game at even-strength – and after all too brief respite, he’s facing a whole bunch more again this fall. The Leafs have won six straight and 10 of 12 on the strength of their goaltending and an absolutely scorching offence, but they’ve surrendered an average of 37 shots in the past nine games, reverting all too recently to a formula that led to disaster last spring. “We’re still very much a work in progress,” head coach, Randy Carlyle urged. “It’s a game of mistakes and we’ve got to cut down on some of the mistakes that we’ve been making as of late.” Long the backup to Jonathan Quick in L.A.’s stingy system, Bernier has gotten used to the drastically different challenge of a heavy workload in Toronto. His routines have changed, if not dramatically then slightly to accommodate the requirements of starting just about every night under such strain. The purpose of practice, for example, has changed. Bernier no longer relies upon bucket after bucket of pucks to stay sharp. Instead it’s more about management, of his body and the details of his game. On Wednesday morning, hours after he faced 42 shots in a 6-2 win over Anaheim, Bernier took to the ice at the team’s practice facility 10 minutes or so before the 11:45 a.m. session got underway. He wanted to work on a couple different things, namely stick shots and belly shots. And rather than linger after the practice, as he would’ve as the backup, Bernier exited just a few short minutes after its conclusion, requiring the extra rest more than the extra shots. “I still go out there and want to work on details,” he said. “[But] when you play a lot you don’t need to practice as much obviously, you get your reps in the game. It’s just to stay sharp on little details.” Additionally, Bernier has opted out of most morning skates, preferring to save the added wear on his body. It’s all part of the adjustment he’s made to playing regularly in the league. Bernier started more games as a Leaf last year than he did in the entirety of his three full seasons as the Kings backup. Perhaps most importantly, he faced more shots a year ago (1,787) than he did in all those L.A. years combined. He’s on pace for 58 starts this year and an even greater number of shots than last season. “I think the most important thing for me is rest. I like to have a two and a half hour nap [on game-days], especially maybe with the baby now I really take advantage of it,” Bernier says with a wide grin. “But that’s something to me that when I feel good I feel rested I feel sharrp. Authentic Mark Fayne Jersey. .” His baby boy, Tyler, has altered that equation slightly too. “It changes your life I guess,” said Bernier. “It takes a little while to get adjusted but right now I feel I’ve gotten into a routine a little bit.” The numbers reflect that. Bernier endured some “early season woes” as Carlyle described them recently, but he’s been locked in since the end of November, compiling a mighty .936 save percentage in his last seven starts. He’s done this just as the workload has picked up. Scoring more than four goals per game has helped mask some deficiencies for the Leafs in recent weeks, including familiar possession troubles that have led to some busy nights for Bernier and tandem partner, James Reimer. Jonathan Bernier Shots Faced Year Starts Shots Against 2010-11 22 652 2011-12 13 383 2013 12 306 2013-14 49 1787 2014-15 22 695 That’s what led Carlyle to observe that his team was “slipping” following the game Tuesday against the Ducks, trending away from the structured game that’s shown itself here and there in the past month. After the Leafs were blown out by Nashville in mid-November the club had a look at the stingiest shot suppression teams in the league, saw Minnesota leading the pack and made it a goal to hit their mark – 25 shots or less – nightly. They came close in three games thereafter, holding Tampa, Detroit and Pittsburgh under 30, but have since reverted to the troubling form of last season in many instances. At a team meeting before practice Wednesday the group talked again about pushing the shots against back under 25. They’ve held opponents under 30 just nine times in 31 games and are yielding 34 shots per game, fourth-most in the league. “I don’t think the last two games we’ve been very solid,” Bernier said, “but at the same time when you score that many goals you can allow yourself to make a few more mistakes.” A restricted free agent next summer, Bernier’s contract will be among the many of intrigue for the Leafs. Hes quickly made the case of his capability as a quality starter, but just how good he is and can be is still being determined. The short-term results are encouraging though. Only Carey Price, Tuukka Rask, Semyon Varlamov and Sergei Bobrovsky have a higher save percentage than him since the start of last season – the latter two falling off some this year. And Bernier trails only Varlamov and Rask with a 62 per cent quality start percentage in that same short span*. Being a starter and busy one at that appears to suit the Quebec native just fine. *(Courtesy of the Hockey Abstract’s Rob Vollman, a goaltender qualifies for a quality start when he stops at least the league average number of shots or plays as well as a “replacement level” goalie while yielding two goals or less.) cheap falcons jerseys cheap ravens jerseys cheap bills jerseys cheap bears jerseys cheap bengals jerseys cheap cowboys jerseys cheap lions jerseys cheap texans jerseys cheap colts jerseys cheap jaguars jerseys cheap chiefs jerseys cheap rams jerseyscheap dolphins jerseys cheap vikings jerseys cheap saints jerseys cheap giants jerseys cheap jets jerseys cheap eagles jerseys cheap steelers jerseys cheap 49ers jerseys ' ' '

Icon Legend and Forum Rights

• Topic has replies
    Hot topic
    Topic unread
    Topic doesn't have any replies
    Closed topic
    BBCode  is opened
    HTML  is opened
    You don't have permission to post or reply a topic
    You don't have permission to edit a topic
    You don't have the permission to delete a topic
    You don't have the permission to approve a post
    You don't have the permission to make a sticky on a topic
    You don't have the permission to close a topic
    You don't have the permission to move a topic

Add Reputation

Do you want to add reputation for this user by this post?

or cancel